Monday, August 29, 2011

Patricia Ann

Patricia Ann Carl is my 2d cousin (once removed).  Aunt Ginny wrote a poem especially for her when she was a child (I'm assuming).  Ginger Brown, Patricia's daughter, forwarded it for inclusion here with Patricia's permission.

         Patricia Ann
      by Virginia Conway

She’s fairy like as elfin gay
This little niece who came to stay
At our house a few weeks ago
No other child so sweet we know
She vies in beauty all the flowers
Perhaps it’s because she’s ours.
She’s part, she’s all in every plan
We thank you Lord, for Patricia Ann


And, as I suspected, there is a story behind "Patricia Ann",and as I rather suspected, it further reveals the special person our Aunt Ginny was.  The following from Patricia via her daughter Ginger.  Italics mine.:

There is a story behind the poem. My grandmother, Virginia (this would be my second cousin, Virginia L. Harrison), had a previous child that died during childbirth. He was over 10 pounds and healthy (Momma was 6 pounds.), but my grandmother had him at home, and she was small. As a precaution, when she became pregnant with my mother, Virgil (This would be my second cousin Dr. Virgil Holt Crowder who was personal physician to every one of us) kept a close eye on her weight and made her move to Lawrenceburg well ahead of her due date. My mother was due in December, and the home she lived in was completely surrounded by creeks. If the creeks "got up", there was no way to get out; so she went to stay with her Aunt Ginny. Sound familiar? After my mother was born, they returned to Aunt Ginny's for a brief time, and that's when she wrote the poem. I knew part of this story but not all. I'm glad you asked for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment